Things to do in Sharjah
Sharjah is a great step away from the big boys of Dubai and Abu Dhabi. As part of one’s itinerary, the following are some of top spots and some of the top things to do in Sharjah:
- Al Hisn Fort which occupies a majority portion of the heritage area features many exhibits and displays in addition to the Sharjah Fort Museum which provided a deep insight on the social history of the area.
- Tourists interested in history must visit the museums, especially the Sharjah Museum of Economic Civilization, the Sharjah Heritage Museum, Sharjah Art Museum and the Museum of Arabic Calligraphy.
- Souks form an important part of tourism in Sharjah and while the Souk al-Arsah must be included because it is the oldest souk in the country, the Blue Souk deserves a visit for its eclectic shopping experience. In actual fact, the Blue Souk is one of the must do things to do in the UAE and probably the top thing to do in Sharjah.
- The Sharjah Desert Park is an attraction in itself as it offers something for every age group. So when the adults are busy exploring the thought provoking exhibits in the Natural History Museum, the kids can entertain themselves at the Arabian Wildlife Centre and the Children’s Farm.
- The Al Qasba Ferry provides tourists with a unique view of the city in the form of a boat tour.
Sharjah could be an international tourist destination in its own right proven by the fact that it has something in store for all types of budget. Hence, while tourists who are willing to splurge can opt for the Holiday Inn Sharjah or the Holiday International Hotel, the ones those with a tighter budget could settle for Crystal Plaza Hotel, The Suites Hotel Apartments, Millennium Hotel, Radission SAS Resort, Grand Hotel or the Al Sharq Hotel.
You could spend anything from a few hours to a week to get the full flavour of Sharjah. However long you decide to spend in Sharjah, it will be definitely be fun filled and enriching. Just be aware that this fun will be booze free, because, for some, Sharjah’s downside is that it is dry. For others, that’s another of the big pulls.
Many people wonder what is there to see and do in Sharjah. It is the cultural heartbeat of the UAE, and this is where you can get the hustle and bustle of real Arabia. Sharjah has that authentic feel to it - and we love it.