Meydan Race Course (courtesy Meydan)
The Meydan Dubai
The Meydan Race Course was inaugurated on 27th May, 2010 and replaces the existing Nad Al Sheba Racecourse. The Meydan Race Course is now dubbed as one of the best race courses in the world and is one of four sub districts of Meydan City which is spread over an area of 200 million square feet; The Meydan Metropolis, which is a mix of commercial, retail and residential property; Meydan Horizons, which is another commercial and residential property development; and the Meydan Godolphin Parks, an additional commercial property set within picturesque lakes and canals in which the iconic Godolphin Gateway Tower will be the central theme along with a signature mall and some residential outlets. These four districts will be the showcase for the Nad Al Sheba area.
Stretching over 7.5 million square metres the Meydan Race Course is inclusive of the Meydan Marina. The two race tracks are overlooked by the luxurious five-star hotel named The Meydan and a huge grandstand which measures a mile in length and hence can accommodate as many as 60,000 spectators. The Meydan Hotel is a prime location to stay with its fine dining restaurants, Meydan Museum and Gallery and an IMAX theatre. Additionally the area is home to the Dubai Racing Club and Emirates Racing Authority. While the hotel has as many as 285 rooms, the 72 suites are meant to serve as business and conference facility and a 9-hole golf course is also envisioned to be a part of the complex.
A unique feature of the Meydan Race Course is the Tapeta synthetic dirt track the two distinct characteristics of which are that it is left-handed and measures 1,750 metres in length. The main race course also features a left handed turf which is 2,400 metres long and is operational between November and March where it plays hosts to many different racing challenges and carnivals, the largest being the world’s richest race day.
Points of note –
- General admission to the Meydan Race Course is free but various packages can be taken up.
- Starting time for the Dubai World Cup is 7pm and since it is one of the worlds’s richest horse racing venues, it is a natural attraction for socialites and fashionistas the world over. It certainly is a who's who of Dubai. Don't forget your swanky hat!
- A noteworthy attraction next to the Meydan Race Course is the Meydan Marina which is being designed to accommodate as many as 80 yachts.
- There are other races other than the Dubai World Cup that you can attend. Get in touch with the Dubai Racing Club if you are a horse fan.
- Don't forget - gambling is illegal, so you won't be able to take a punt on this one.
When –The ideal time to visit would be between November and March when the races take place.
How long – A great evening of fun
Location –It is in place of the old race course Nad Al Sheba.
Cost –Admission is free of charge but there are different package rates for the Grandstand.